Tuesday 26 March 2013

I need some ideas!

Being a dad has its blessing but Children's TV is not one of them. However, whilst watching Bob the Builder I found myself pondering a issue which I think is at the heart of successful leadership and in my context, Church Growth.

"It's not about who has the ideas, it's about working in a team that is what's important." Bob the Builder.

It is easy as a leader to assume that you know best or have all the answers to all problems that may occur. Often this is manifested that if your team, church or people you line manage who may have a problem. They always come to you for help. This of course is a reality in leadership and management that should not be taken lightly or responsibility neglected. But there are reasons not to resolve all the problems yourself or be the one who has all the ideas. Not matter how good the leader, team work is and will always be the key component in success.

Essential, I have grown to understand and hopefully put into practice that leadership is best exercised in community. In the past I have often felt the pressure to come up with all the ideas or have all the solutions. If I am honest, I have quiet enjoyed it. But the more I discover about leadership, the more I realise I can't do it alone, and neither do I want to.

Despite the clear purpose and benefits to leading in community there will be some tensions that raise their head. Here are a few to watch out for:

Not pulling our weight - if you lead with more people, there maybe some that as the Leader you are doing less or simply delegating the Jobs you hate on to others. It is important that you evaluate the jobs/roles people play in your team to ensure this doesn't happen. The questions we need to ask are; Am I the best person for this task/role? Then ask; Am I the right person?

Loss of Authority - It can appear that as you lead more with others you lose your authority as the leader. It is my observation that spiritual authority is developed in relationship with others rather than simply using your position as your authority. This can be highlight in autocratic organisations where often people are appointed because of the length of service, rank or title, or career pathway rather than gift, skills, character or passions.

Out of control - It can often happen that when you lead with others, you don't always know what is going on or what is about to happen. For any leaders this is a scary place to be but I have seen that when you keep out the way people produce their best because they know that you trust them. On Good Friday, Luke and Abi arrange a prayer room for our church to reflect on. The only thing they asked me to do a Bible reflection. Funnily enough, I don't think anyone used it as there were so many excellent resources they had prepared.

Ephesians 4 v 16 - As each part does it's own special work, it helps the other parts to grow, so that the whole body is healthy and growing and full of love.

My desire is to see a church where the leaders are brave enough to not always lead and wise enough to know who should.

Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment